Minutes – 23rd April 2018

Minutes of the Trust meeting held on Monday 23rd April 2018

 

Present: Iain Bramhill (chair), Ian Love, Richard Morgan, Dave Busby, Jon Bunkell, John Webb, Julie Gentry, Mandy Marshall, Sandra Bumphrey, Steve Bishop (from 7.45pm)

 

Apologies: Mark Browning, Stuart Powell, Stuart Harris

 

Andy Walton would like to plant a tree in memory of his parents – John & Linda Walton. Agreed that this could be done but a more suitable place might be near the war memorial.                                                  Jon

 

Approval of the minutes of the meeting held on 26th March 2018

Proposed: Iain Bramhill                      Seconded: Dave Busby                                  none against

 

Matters arising

66.01.17 Jerry is preparing a new Business plan and met with Mark and Iain on 7th November. Good progress is being made. They will meet again hopefully before the next meeting.                                       Mark

06.03.17b Discussion had around the Orchard Players steps which the Trust/Assoc use regularly.  Chris Love has recommended Steeldeck.com . Iain to arrange a meeting                                                                        Iain

30.10.17b Mr Smith has not replied regarding the broken internal door at the hall and Mark has written again. Mark would like to pursue through the small claims court and agreed that Mr Smith would be advised first. Mark has taken legal advice and we should’ve accepted his cheque for the part payment rather than returning it. Agreed to proceed through the Small claims court.                                                                               Mark

56.11.17a A meeting between the Trust, Football Club and Suffolk FA had been held plus another between the Trust, Football Club and Football Foundation. Money would be available for the pitches and a new building but the terms need to be discussed.  Letter received from FC requesting an answer within 7 days. Terms from the Football Foundation to be circulated. John offered to chat to Gareth.                                Richard/John/Mark

Contact Charity Commission to ask if in principal they would agree a licence for 21 years to enable the FC to apply for funding from the Football Foundation.                                                                                 Ian/Sandra

30.10.17a. The Parish Council had received a quote from Vertas following the meeting at the field regarding grass cutting but it was not what had been asked for. Iain had spoken to Colin Rushbrook but he is unable to help. PC continuing with the Vertas contract for now as it was due for renewal on 1st April. 6 months notice to terminate is required.  Agreed that the FC need to advise the PC of what changes are required.    Richard

John suggested that the ditch alongside the Orchard should be dug out again. Agreed for John to get a quote and Sandra to find out who owns the land.                                                                            John/Sandra

58.11.17 Trust event which gives a profit of approx. £700 – Iain has suggested a suggested a cooking demonstration by Radio 2's Nigel Bardon https://www.gordonpoole.com/talent/nigel-barden/ and had spoken to his agent. Possible for 2019. Agreed that the Abba tribute band booked for October to be paid by the Trust and to go against the Bar refurb fund should make this profit is it was as successful as the Oasis trbute.

Steve B has been approached by someone wanting to sponsor £200 of extra fireworks. Arrange with Graham.                                                                                                                                                                      Steve

03.01.18a Fire risk assessment – 2018 review has been carried out. AFS fire services are now carrying out the fire alarm and emergency lighting checks.          Suggestion made for a call point in the bar but the cost is £350 inc. VAT. Agreed that the issue was not the lack of a call point but that the doors with the roller shutters should be open if there are people in the bar.  Staff are now aware this should happen.

 

03.01.18b Floodlights – Stuart has suggested street light posts with a hinged joint to be able to access the light, approx. cost £750 for 3 posts plus lights and installation. Football Foundation do not want to support this project so we need to purchase from the PC precept pot.                                                                            Stuart

05.01.18a There is a socket on the stage which is 5amp and blows if used incorrectly. Jon has agreed and ordered the parts and will install in March. Should people wish to plug 13amp items in, there is an adapter in the mains cupboard which will need PAT testing at some point so we will need another adapter for that. We will need one anyway to test the stage lights in the ceiling of the hall.                                                           Ian/Jon

06.01.18a Now pavilion roof has been replaced the hole above the gas meter needs to be filled. Ceiling has asbestos which needs removing first. Quote of £850 + VAT received from Ipswich Insulations. Agreed to accept and ask Leigh to quote to replace.                                                                                         Sandra/Iain

06.01.18c James Honeywood has agreed to clean grubby marks on the hall exterior walls.                      Ian

06.01.18e Andrew Vellacott has cut the A12 side hedge. The ditch still needs clearing and agreed 28th April from 10-12. Graham say rubbish can go to allotments for burning.   On the PC facebook page with the Litter pick notice. Bring gloves and a high vis vest.                                                                                                 All

06.01.18f Sandra suggested that the end wall of the pavilion is redesigned. Two big eyes were suggested.

Better reaction from the Facebook noticeboard but still no ideas submitted.                                    Sandra

07.01.18b Another quote has been received for the bar refurbishment which is £5k cheaper.  Grants available?   07.01.18c Meeting to be arranged to go through the details of the Bar refurbishment with JW, JB, SB + IB, SP, DB, SH, IL plus designer. Jon takes notes from these meeting if anyone wishes to read.                             

07.01.18d Fun day - main issues were parking and marquees. Some responses received from Committee members and also put an appeal out on Facebook with limited replies. Perhaps an appeal in Mark’s next resident’s letter if one is issued before June.                                                                                    Mark

11.01.18b Clint would like to try a week night as well as his Friday night for an additional £25. He needs to buy a rubber cable protector when he is using the power from the hall. Need to have proper invoices. A rubber cable is being used and Sandra has provided Tracy with a receipt book. She will issue a receipt to Clint each time and keep the copy in the book.

12.03.18 Sue and Colin Nicol came to talk about converting one of the tennis courts into Pickleball courts. Kris from Suffolk Tennis Courts has quoted £800 + VAT for a deep clean and moss inhibitor and £800 + VAT to mark out the courts. Need to discuss what fees the Trust would expect from the club. Sue to get a quote for a fence to divide both courts. Suggestion made to split the 2 tennis courts and the Pickleball club to have use of one court. Application has been sent to Gordon Jones and the court cleaning booked for 7-9 June although this may clashwith Fun day activites on the courts.                                                                                                Jon

14.03.18 Discussion had again regarding the play area inspections and what is required.                         Stuart

16.03.18 . Discussion had around parking again. The Zumba group have moved to the Methodist church as the hall hire is cheaper. Mandy had got their prices from the website. The church apparently take £6000 in hall bookings which is 30% of what the hall takes. Jon had produced leaflets to go on cars.

The Football Club have arranged a paid coach to take sessions over Easter which they haven’t advised to the Trust of. They also need to arrange for the thermostats on the deep fat fryers to be tested.           Mark

17.03.18a Hearing loop - cabling is in place but needs to be connected and users advised of how to use. Ian

17.03.18b The conifers beside the Bowls green have been reduced and The Room Outside has quoted £975 to reduce them further. Agreed for this to go ahead and be paid from the 2018 precept. Next phase is due to be carried out in early May.

21.03.18a Jon had met with Sharon, editor of Capel Capers. Agreed a double page spread in the December edition to advertise the Trust and Association events that have happened throughout the year. Could Andrew L take photos throughout the year to go on the website and in the Capers.                                                 Mark

21.03.18b Parish Council EGM to respond to the plan to replace the Methodist church is on 4th April at 7.30pm in the library.  Attended by John, Jon, Stuart and Sandra representing the Trust and Association. Jon and John attended the next Parish Council to respond to the comments made.

AOB

01.04.18a Orchard Players are again placing their equipment too near the light in the gear store. Agreed that the light would be replaced when the Bar refurb takes place and Mandy would remind.                 Jon/Mandy

 

The Trust have agreed additional wording to go on the website stating that the Trust will not respond to anonymous communications in any form.

 

May meeting is due to be on bank holiday Monday so moved to 4th June in the library at 7.30pm.

 

A12 ditch clearing on Saturday 28th April will start at 10am to coincide with the village litter pick.

 

02.04.18b Solar panels are not working but Solartech Ltd who supplied then have gone bust. Hopefully Stuart will be able to reset now we have the manual if not we will need to contact a local contractor.                    Stuart

 

03.04.18c Application for a cone climber for the field play area from the S106 fund had been refused by Babergh as the evidence of need from the Parish plan is 5 years old. Instead a shade sail has been requested for the hall play area as now the tree has been removed it is very warm with no shade. A new piece of play equipment is on order and as a new bench has previously been discussed  perhaps this could form a new request as evidence of need would be much easier to produce.                                                           Sandra

 

£34k had been settled from the claim made in June 2016 when an elderly lady had tripped up the stage in the Vine Lounge which has now been removed.

 

04.04.18d Insurance renewal price of £4208.90 received from Zurich through CAS which is nearly £1000 cheaper than last year even with the Bowls club taking out their own policy and the recent claim. If we were to swap to another insurer the Association would probably need a separate policy as the Bowls club have done. Possibly cheaper still if a 3 or 5 year option is taken.                                                              Sandra

 

Association – 3 new committee members and possibly another next month. Oasis tribute took £2000 in ticket sales and £3500 over the bar. Meeting with Greene King, generally sales are down 8% but Association are up 30% which is really positive. Bar refurb minutes have been circulated and another meeting agreed.

Fun day – Jon went round the table to confirm availability. New marquees discussed but may be too late for new ones.

 

The Performing Rights Society are visiting the band event  on 19th May. First visit in the many years we have been enrolled with them.

 

Bypass have donated £25 to borrow the library chairs for the weekend.

 

05.04.18e Jon unblocked the toilets Saturday night and Gifford had reported that this often happens after a function. Need to investigate where blockage could be.                                                                                Stuart

 

06.04.18f  Agreed new tables for the library, approx. cost for 10 £500 + VAT. Library tables will move to the stage as these are very rough on the top. Allotments may use or if not freecycle.                          Sandra/Ian