Minutes – 25th June 2018

Minutes for the Capel Community Trust meeting  held on Monday 25th June 2018

 

Present: Iain Bramhill  (chair), Dave, Busby, Stuart Powell, Jon Bunkell, Julie Gentry, John Webb, Steve Bishop, Richard Morgan, Mandy Marshall, Stuart Harris (7.45), Ian Love (8pm)

 

plus Amy Baalham, Sean Kilbourn and Dave Wisely

 

Apologies: none

 

Matters arising:

01.05.18  Iain thanked Gareth for his prompt response to the questions in the letter sent by the sub committee set up to move the licence question forward. The Football Foundation guidelines say at point 3.2 that freehold or uninterrupted leasehold for 21 years is required. Dave asked if a MUGA would be useful but it would have to be big enough for 11 a side. Discussion had around how much of the field was required and what could be gained if the Scotts development went ahead.  Trustees confirmed that they supported a request for a new pavilion and a decent first team pitch.

Iain proposed that the sub committee had a separate meeting with the FC. Tuesday 12th June at 7.30pm in the Vine Lounge                                                                                                         Stuart P, Iain, Richard, Stuart H

 

The outcome of the meeting was a recommendation that the Trust could commit to leasing one pitch for the 21 years such that the funding from various sources can be investigated. The Trust will be the applicant and controlling authority.

 

Stuart P thought is that the football club would need to lead the fund raising especially as the Football Foundation would only fund the changing areas.

Jon asked if running the bar in the new building had been discussed but it hasn’t as yet. The Trust would continue to manage the property and have a booking system for the building and the field. Jon had sent info on an online booking system to Ian as it would be good to have this facility on the website.

Scotts had offered to contribute towards a fund raising person who has experience in obtaining funds in other areas.

 

Proposal:  The Trust to offer a 21 year lease on land sufficient to provide a full-size pitch, a pavilion and car parking. The latter two to be located towards the A12 gate.

Proposed: Dave Busby                       Seconded: Stuart Powell                    all in favour apart from Stuart H

 

Sean to speak to Gareth about painting the containers.                                                                    Sean

John to speak to Darren Matthews about flooring for the pavilion kitchen.                                       John

Gifford to be asked to tile the area behind the kitchen sink in the pavilion.                                      Stuart H

 

66.01.17 Jerry is preparing a new Business plan - to move this forward it was agreed at the May meeting that the plan should be circulated to all Trustees at this point. Iain is now meeting Jerry on 5th July to review.

Discussion around whether it should be put on hold for 6 months but Sandra felt funders would need to see something if applications were made for the pavilion before then.                                                    Iain

 

06.03.17b Discussion had around the Orchard Players steps which the Trust/Assoc use regularly. Kev Colbear (bespoke metalworker) has quoted £4100 for bespoke  steps and edge railing which look good but are not

suitable. Ian had a quote from Lighthouse audio visual for £1191 inc. VAT and is waiting for others.   Ian

 

30.10.17b Mr Smith has not replied regarding the broken internal door at the hall and Mark has written again. Mark would like to pursue through the small claims court and agreed that Mr Smith would be advised first. Mark has taken legal advice and we should’ve accepted his cheque for the part payment rather than returning it. Agreed to proceed through the Small claims court. Mandy thought that as it was over 12 months should it still be progressed? Sandra emailed Mark on 27th June.                                                                            Mark

 

30.10.17a. The Parish Council had received a quote from Vertas following the meeting at the field regarding grass cutting but it was not what had been asked for. Iain had spoken to Colin Rushbrook but he is unable to help. PC continuing with the Vertas contract for now as it was due for renewal on 1st April. 6 months notice to terminate is required.  Discussion had around Vertas contract and agreed to write to PC to complain once a discussion had been had with Football Club on 12th June.   Sean thought that Gareth and Adrian had progressed this further and Iain asked for an update before next month.                                         Stuart/Dave

 

30.10.17b John suggested that the ditch alongside the Orchard should be dug out again. Agreed for John to get a quote and Sandra to find out who owns the land. Martin from Scotts Properties had spoken to the land owner and agreed to access from his side. Possibly £1000 to hire a digger/dumper and lorry to dispose of waste. Iain had spoken to Steve Prior and is waiting for a quote.                                                                 Iain

 

03.01.18b Floodlights – Stuart has suggested street light posts with a hinged joint to be able to access the light, approx. cost £1000 for 3 posts plus lights and installation. Football Foundation do not want to support this project so we need to purchase from the PC field/pavilion which has £9k. Stuart had produced a plan but hadn’t approached a contractor as yet. £5k was set aside this year in the Trust budget.                            Stuart

 

05.01.18a There is a socket on the stage which is 5amp and blows if used incorrectly which  Jon has now replaced. Should people wish to plug 13amp items in, there is an adapter in the mains cupboard which will need PAT testing at some point so we will need another adapter for that. We will need one anyway to test the stage lights in the ceiling of the hall.   Jon has purchased the bits required for this.

 

07.01.18b Another quote has been received for the bar refurbishment which is £5k cheaper.  Grants available?

Dave has contacted Babergh who can probably only offer £1,000 and feel that other lines of enquiry will be tough, but they have said that we need to get an estimate of the refurbishment and how much we can contribute.  Now added to the Bar refurb schedule.

14.03.18 Discussion had again regarding the play area inspections and what is required. Stuart has been carrying out repairs but the bark needs weeding and moving around. He is repairing the broken bins.

 

17.03.18a Hearing loop - cabling is in place but needs to be connected and users advised of how to use. Ian

 

01.04.18a Orchard Players are again placing their equipment too near the light in the gear store so Mandy has sent an email to remind them. Agreed that the light would be replaced when the Bar refurb takes place.

To look again after the summer show.                                                                                                           Mandy

 

02.04.18b Solar panels are not working but Solartech Ltd who supplied then have gone bust.  Stuart thinks could cost between £1.8 - 4k. Greenscape standard inverter is £1800. Need to set specification and Stuart will try and obtain 3 quotes. We were expecting £1500 a year income so need to try and get them fixed.             Stuart

 

03.04.18c Application for a cone climber for the field play area from the S106 fund had been refused by Babergh as the evidence of need from the Parish plan is 5 years old. Instead a shade sail has been requested for the hall play area as now the tree has been removed it is very warm with no shade. A questionnaire has been produced and needs to be looked at with the results from the Neighbourhood plan.                        Sandra

 

07.04.18g Andy Walton would like to plant a tree in memory of his parents – John & Linda Walton. Agreed that this could be done but a more suitable place might be near the war memorial. The War memorial committee have replied to say that they are bound by the original brief that was given to them by the Parish Council, which was to raise a memorial to those lost in conflict. The whole project including the appeals for funding has been based on that directive. When responsibility is handed back to the Parish Council after 11th November 2018, they will be seeking an undertaking from the current, and future Parish Councils, to maintain it in its current form. For that reason, a non-military memorial within the War Memorial area would not be practical. Jon will advise Andy. After further discussion it was agreed that a tree near the hall might not be appropriate but a bench outside the Vine Lounge might.                                                                                          John

04.05.18 Need to review staffing and maintenance expenditure. Amy had attended the meeting tonight and was going to have a discussion after the meeting. Iain and Ian were working on a proposal to vote on at the next meeting.                                                                                                                                                  Ian

 

07.05.18a  Bar refurb is now split into 2 phases. First in July and second January. This will mean that one bar will always remain open.  Working party needed for 14 and 15th July to clear bar area ready to start on 16th.

Revised quote for the Vine Lounge has reduced enough to pay for the electrics. Currently pay £90 a month to ADT for the alarm but Jon has obtained a quote for £1075 for a new wireless system. Air conditioning quote received for approx. £2500 but this is not in current budget.

Proposal: that air conditioning to the Library and Vine Lounge for the approx. cost of £5000 is paid from the PC Hall maintenance. The PC have already made the additional payment.

 

07.05.18bDiscussion had around putting up posters in the hall as they often look untidy. The library have donated a notice board which needs repairing but can hopefully then be used.                                          Stuart

 

AOB:

 

Dave, Ian, Iain, Richard, Sandra are attending the Pickle ball opening event on 1st July

 

Mandy went through the hall events in July which includes Orchard Players having the hall for a week.

Fan for the chiller unit outside the Vine Lounge makes a lot of noise but this could be adjusted during the refurb. To be added to Refurb to do list.                                                                                                        Jon

Mandy thanked the committee for their support in the past couple of weeks.

 

Lots of meetings over the next couple of weeks including one between Persimmon and the Parish Council that Dave and Iain have been invited to.

 

Ian handed out the figures, Fun day £3903 profit which is great. Current balance is £57408.48

 

John said membership prices were low compared to others and prices will be increased for 2019. Need to push life time membership once bar refurbished.

 

Need to arrange a date for the next meeting between the Trust and FC.                                         Stuart P

 

Jon thanked everyone for helping at Fun day and noted a few issues to address next year.

3 more gazebos required for next year and Ian will purchase when fund s allow.

War memorial event would like to use the whole building on 11th November.

 

Asbestos has been removed from one of the changing room ceilings at the pavilion and a new ceiling has been put up.

Nemco are cleaning the pavilion tank on 20th July.

 

Iain thanked Sandra for her work for the Trust and gave her a Buyagift voucher which she will look forward to using.

 

Next meeting 23rd July at 7.30pm in the Library