Minutes – 26th March 2018

Minutes of the Capel Community Trust meeting held on 26th March 2018

 

Present: Mark Browning (chair), Stuart Harris, Julie Gentry, Iain Bramhill. David Busby, Mandy Marshall,

Jon Bunkell, Sandra Bumphrey, Ian Love, John Webb, Richard Morgan, Stuart Powell

 

Apologies: Steve Bishop

 

12.03.18 Democratic ¼ hour

Sue and Colin Nicol came to talk about converting one of the tennis courts into Pickleball courts. When Sue returned from holiday she wanted to join a club but the nearest is Halstead so she has set up a club here - the South Suffolk Pickleball Club. Currently 32 members and age ranges from 16-72. Kris from Suffolk Tennis Courts has quoted £800 + VAT for a deep clean and moss inhibitor and £800 + VAT to mark out the courts. Only 6 clubs in the country with outdoor Pickleball courts. Fastest growing sport in America. Need to discuss what fees the Trust would expect from the club. Sue to get a quote from Kris for a fence to divide both courts. Suggestion made to split the 2 tennis courts and the Pickleball club to have use of one court. Dave to approach Gordon Jones to see if he would contribute from his Locality budget.                                                    Dave

Agreed the Trust could pay for cleaning if the Pickleball club paid for the lines to be marked. No charge would be made to the club this year but exclusive use would not be granted. Funds would need to be raised for the dividing fence.           

 

Approval of the minutes of the meeting held on 26th February 2018

Proposed: Stuart Harris                      Seconded: Iain Bramhill                                 none against

 

13.03.18 Matters arising

66.01.17 Mark has had a Marketing Strategy prepared by a consultant. Jerry is preparing a new Business plan and met with Mark and Iain on 7th November. They will meet again hopefully before the next meeting.            Mark

06.03.17b Discussion had around the Orchard Players steps which the Trust/Assoc use regularly.  Chris Love has recommended Steeldeck.com                                                                                                        Ian/Iain

30.10.17b Mr Smith has not replied regarding the broken internal door at the hall and Mark has written again. Mark would like to pursue through the small claims court and agreed that Mr Smith would be advised first. Mark has taken legal advice and we should’ve accepted his cheque for the part payment rather than returning it. Agreed to proceed through the Small claims court.                                                                               Mark

56.11.17a A meeting between the Trust, Football Club and Suffolk FA had been held plus another between the Trust, Football Club and Football Foundation. Money would be available for the pitches and a new building but the terms need to be discussed.  Further discussions need to take place.                                                       Mark

30.10.17a. The Parish Council had received a quote from Vertas following the meeting at the field regarding grass cutting but it was not what had been asked for. Ian suggested Colin Rushbrook ru58ers@talktalk.net who might be happy to advise on this. Meeting needed to discuss way forward. PC continuing with the Vertas contract for now as it was due for renewal on 1st April. 6 months notice to terminate is required.      Dave/Iain           

57.11.17 Orchard Players – concern with the equipment in the gear store especially near the lights. Mandy has added a paragraph to their letter and inspected after the panto. Mandy will remind again after summer show.

58.11.17 Trust event which gives a profit of approx. £700 – Iain has suggested a suggested a cooking demonstration by Radio 2's Nigel Bardon https://www.gordonpoole.com/talent/nigel-barden/ or similar.            Mandy

60.11.17d Quotes received for new blinds for the stage and kitchen.  Agreed to go with Nantmor Blinds for £1135 including VAT as these installed the library blinds.   Installed 26th March.

61.11.17a  GDPR which is due in May 2018 will mean we have to make some changes to membership and hall bookings and how we store data. Mark and Mandy met on 8 March and Mandy will add an extra sentence to the booking form.                                   

03.01.18a Fire risk assessment – 2018 review has been carried out. AFS fire services are now carrying out the fire alarm and emergency lighting checks.          Suggestion made for a call point in the bar but the cost is £350 inc. VAT. Agreed that the issue was not the lack of a call point but that the doors with the roller shutters should be open if there are people in the bar.                                                                                                           John

03.01.18b Floodlights – Stuart has suggested street light posts with a hinged joint to be able to access the light, approx. cost £750 for 3 posts plus lights and installation. Football Foundation do not want to support this project so we need to purchase from the PC precept pot.                                                                            Stuart   

05.01.18a There is a socket on the stage which is 5amp and blows if used incorrectly. Jon has agreed and ordered the parts and will install in March.                                                                                                    Jon 06.01.18a Now pavilion roof has been replaced the hole above the gas meter needs to be filled. Ceiling has asbestos which needs removing first. Quote of £850 + VAT received from Ipswich Insulations. Agreed to accept and ask Leigh to quote to replace.                                                                                                     Iain           

06.01.18c James Honeywood has agreed to clean grubby marks on the hall exterior walls.                      Ian

06.01.18e Andrew Vellacott has cut the A12 side hedge. The ditch still needs clearing and agreed 28th April. Graham say rubbish can go to allotments for burning.  Need to advertise                                       Sandra                                           

06.01.18f Sandra suggested that the end wall of the pavilion is redesigned. Two big eyes were suggested.                                                                                                                                                                        Sandra

07.01.18a Parking was a problem on Saturday again as the Methodist Church had a function on. Suggested leaflet to go on cars. Iain had emailed the church again.                                                                 

07.01.18b Another quote has been received for the bar refurbishment which is £5k cheaper.  Grants available?  

                                                                                                                                                                        Dave

07.01.18c Meeting to be arranged to go through the details of the Bar refurbishment with JW, JB, SB + IB, SP, DB, SH, IL plus designer. Jon has notes to circulate from the meeting.                                                            Jon

07.01.18d Fun day - main issues were parking and marquees. Some responses received from Committee members and also put an appeal out on Facebook with limited replies. Perhaps an appeal in Mark’s next resident’s letter if one is issued before June.                                                                                    Mark

07.01.18e Concern over alcohol licence and whether it is 500 people on field or in pavilion. Jon had discussed with Babergh and will put a plan in place. Response from Babergh was ‘depends how you feel’, agreed to continue this year with a TEN licence but record numbers and try and get a truer picture. Fun day meeting on Wednesday if anyone would like to attend.        

11.01.18a Hollesley prison are unable to help with painting or ditch clearing.

11.01.18b Clint would like to try a week night as well as his Friday night for an additional £25. He needs to buy a rubber cable protector when he is using the power from the hall. Need to have proper invoices. Sandra

                                               

14.03.18 Health & Safety

Fire risk assessment has been reviewed by Ian and Sandra. A booklet has been purchased for the staff to read and complete a quiz. Posters have also been purchased to go around the hall.

Discussion had again regarding the play area inspections and what is required.                                         Stuart

 

15.03.18 Finance & Special Purposes – Ian Love

No report to hand out this month. Ian has transferred some money from the saving to cover the larger expenses at the start of the year. Ian went through what funds the Trust has and what has been allocated. Lengthy discussion had around the bar refurbishment. Ian proposed that the Trust should fund some of the Bar refurb work so that the project can start and the Association will repay an agreed monthly amount. Possible start date of 20th July and will take up to 3 weeks.

Proposal: The budgetary funding for the bar refurbishment is agreed as being that agreed in the precept request.

Proposed: John Webb              Seconded: Mark Browning                           none against

 A Budgetary figure of £35000, which includes:

 £13000: comprising Green King ‘advance’ + CCA savings to date (rounded down for convenience)

£5000:  Lifetime Memberships

 £10000 : Trust ‘advance’, to be repaid as a continuance of the £250/month ‘savings’ the Association are already making

 £7000: Trust direct contribution for structural/fixed works (arch/electrics/lighting)

 

Scope: removal of the ‘arch’ in the family bar, + replacement of both bar areas, including new electrical provision + serving area flooring.

This does NOT include:-  

  1. refurbishment of the customer-side of either bar (future works), including customer area lighting and ceilings
  2. potential move of the boiler to enable the existing cupboard to be removed, enlarging the Family Bar space (under discussion)
  3. replacement of the hall-facing doors (future works)
  4. Air conditioning provision to the Vine Lounge (this is budgeted separately, to cover Vine Lounge and Library)
  5. Refurbishment of the bar kitchen

Additional funds of up to £5000-10000 may be able to be committed - subject to prioritisation of other Trust activities  - in order to allow works to be completed efficiently (i.e. on the general principle of ‘doing it right first time’)

 

16.03.18 Review of Bookings etc. - Mandy

Event on Saturday was well attended and there are several functions booked in April. Discussion had around parking again. The Zumba group have moved to the Methodist church as the hall hire is cheaper. Can we compare fees?                                                                                                                                    Ian/Iain

 Garden Club has thanked the Trust for putting the light up outside the library. Linda Walton’s funeral is on Thursday and the wake is in the bar.

The Football Club have arranged a paid coach to take sessions over Easter which they haven’t advised to the Trust of. They also need to arrange for the thermostats on the deep fat fryers to be tested.     Mark

Mandy receives regular requests for evening bookings which she can’t accommodate. Carpet bowls are struggling and have asked for a breakdown of the hall hire.

 

17.03.18 Property & Assets – Stuart Harris & Iain Bramhill

Hearing loop - cabling is in place but needs to be connected.                                                          Ian

The conifers beside the Bowls green have been reduced and The Room Outside has quoted £975 to reduce them further. Agreed for this to go ahead and the money to be claimed form the 2018 precept. Sandra

 

18.03.18 Community Association – John Webb

Add Bar refurbishment to this section of the agenda in future so that Trustees are aware of progress and costs.

 

19.03.18 Parish Council – Stuart Harris

A Councillor has resigned but 2 applications have been received.

Neighbourhood Plan committee has been formed. Stuart has reviewed the questions and the Trust needs to be involved around the leisure questions. Mark, Iain and Dave volunteered. Form needs to be completed and sent to Mike Hole.

Highways are at Bypass Nurseries on 28th to answer general questions but not about the proposed local developments.

 

20.03.18 Chairman’s action – Mark

Nothing to report

 

21.03.18 Any other business                      

Jon had met with Sharon, editor of Capel Capers. Agreed a double page spread in the December edition to advertise the Trust and Association events that have happened throughout the year. Andrew to take photos.                                                                                                                                                                                    Mark

Parish Council EGM to respond to the plan to replace the Methodist church is on 4th April at 7.30pm in the library.  The Trust need to attend this meeting.                                                                                               Mark  

                                                           

Next meeting –Monday 23rd April at 8pm in the library

 

Meeting closed at 10.10pm